Designers, photographers, writers and artists have long known the importance of a portfolio website. Increasingly, however, other career professionals and businesses are also waking up the possibilities and advantages offered by a portfolio website over a simple resume. Programmers, marketers and agencies can also use portfolio websites to show people a visual representation of their work instead of simply listing their experience and qualifications.
Let us look at some of the best portfolio builders for 2022 and find out what’s the best way of creating your online portfolio website!
Top 10 Best Portfolio Builders for 2022
Pixpa is an all-in-one, easy-to-use portfolio builder that empowers photographers, creative professionals and business owners to build stunning, professional websites. Grow your business effortlessly with Pixpa, without touching a single line of code. The feature-rich and affordable platform allows you to create portfolio websites with built-in e-commerce, blogging tools, a full-fledged client proofing platform, integrated SEO and marketing features, and more. With Pixpa you can showcase your work, market yourself, build your brand and grow your career, all in one place.
P.S. In partnership with Pixpa, we are now offering Ribbet users 30% off on any Pixpa plan! Click here to learn more and claim this deal here.
- Easy to use, feature-rich platform that allows you to showcase your work, share ideas and sell products, all without touching a single line of code.
- Stunning array of professional, mobile-optimized and responsive portfolio website templates.
- Pixpa is a no-code platform but does offer options for using custom HTML and CSS code for more advanced users.
- E-commerce galleries can be used to sell prints or digital downloads. Pixpa also has options for more traditional online stores.
- Client galleries can be used for proofing and to seamlessly integrate e-commerce with customer management. You can also send custom mobile gallery apps to each client giving them exclusivity and personalized service.
- Extensive and integrated SEO and marketing features including pop-ups and announcements.
- SSL security on all websites.
Wix allows its users full creative control over how they create, design and manage their websites. The platform uses a drag and drop interface and fully-customizable templates to give users a high degree of freedom and flexibility in building their website. However, this flexibility can make Wix a little bit confusing for beginners. Another unique feature of Wix is the Artificial Design Intelligence (ADI) which makes website building easier and more intuitive.
- High degree of creative flexibility and control with drag and drop interface.
- ADI (Artificial Design Intelligence) makes website building easy and intuitive.
- Mobile editor for creating perfectly mobile-optimized portfolios.
- App market with hundreds of free and paid integrations.
- SEO Wiz tool helps create a strategy to ensure good organic reach for your website.
WordPress.com is an easy-to-use website builder platform powered by the WordPress CMS. Unlike the popular CMS, WordPress.com is not free or open-source, however, it is easier to use and much more beginner-friendly. The downside of this is that the scope for customization is much less than what the CMS offers. WordPress.com is best suited for writer portfolios due to its strong focus on blogging.
- Easy to use, no advanced technical skills required unlike the WordPress CMS.
- Dozens of responsive, mobile-optimized templates that can be used as is or customized to meet the user’s requirement.
- Best suited for blogging. Blogging tools include auto-save features, embeddable media support as well as mobile and desktop apps.
- Similar to WordPress.org, a number of third party plug-ins can be used with WordPress.com to add more functionality and features to your online portfolio.
Squarespace is a website building and web hosting platform that allows users to build professional websites and online stores. Squarespace does not offer the same level of creative freedom as Pixpa or Wix but is easy to use and comes with a good range of templates and features. If you are looking to build a good-looking online portfolio easily and without hassle, then Squarespace may be the right choice for you.
- Easy to use and understand, no-code platform.
- Excellent range of templates and minimalist template design.s
- Custom domain names available with all pricing plans.
- Comprehensive and scalable ecommerce capabilities.
GoDaddy website builder is a website building platform offered by GoDaddy.com, a popular domain registrar and web hosting company. The website builder is straightforward and easy to use, however, it is a little restrictive and does not have a drag and drop interface. That being said, it does have it’s advantages. Since GoDaddy is an old name with a strong background in the web hosting industry, the GoDaddy website builder can offer a three-in-one solution for portfolio building, hosting and domain names.
- Three-in-one solution for website building, hosting and domain name registration.
- Option for using an ADI which makes website building quick and easy.
- Simple but functional design and templates.
- SEO tools available on higher tier plans. Integrations with Google Analytics to ensure organic reach.
Duda is a professional website builder which values simplicity, a focus on professional design aesthetics and scalability. Building your portfolio website with Duda is easy because you can let your template do most of the work. Duda offers a good deal of flexibility and definitely speeds up the portfolio building process, however, you have to stay within the limits offered by the template. Duda is most suitable for agencies and freelancers.
- Structured templates and section based drag and drop interface make Duda very intuitive
- 100+ templates and ability to use custom code for customization.
- Create websites optimized for multiple devices including desktops, mobiles and tablets.
- Social media integrations and e-commerce features are available.
The website builder Zyro offers pre-designed templates, AI-powered automatic content copy generation, AI-driven logo maker and integrations with stock photo website Unsplash. These tools are all geared towards simplifying and speeding up the portfolio website building process for users. This makes it a little inflexible in terms of customization but for users who are interested in speed more than customization, Zyro is perfect.
- Speed focused website builder designed to build websites quickly and easily even when you don’t have coding knowledge or advanced technical skills.
- AI powered tools to automatically create SEO friendly content copy and logo for your website.
- SEO and marketing features to enable you to promote your website online.
- AI heatmaps to show which parts of your website are likely to get more clicks.
Weebly is a simple and intuitive website building tool for creating online portfolios. The design interface is easy to use and understand making it ideal for all kinds of users. Weebly offers structured templates that reduce the margin for error which is good for beginners but negatively impacts customizability. Weebly is the perfect portfolio builder for those looking for ease of use.
- Easy to use and uncomplicated website design interface with a drag and drop website builder.
- 50+ website, beautiful and well-designed website templates.
- Ability to use custom code for further customization.
- Well-optimized to handle larger websites.
Jimdo is a portfolio builder that offers an option for an automated website builder tool. This enables users to build a professional portfolio easily and quickly which is great for beginners. While Jimdo’s interface is not the most intuitive, once you’re past the learning curve, it can be an excellent, quick and easy solution for portfolio building. However, if you are looking for versatility and customization options, Jimdo may not be the best choice.
- Easy to use with an automatic site builder to make things even easier for beginners
- Affordable pricing makes it great for simple hobby portfolios.
- SEO tools include an automatic SEO feature which is a good starting point if you are inexperienced with SEO.
Webflow offers both simplicity and sophistication in website building. You can use the visual designer to generate your own custom code and create a portfolio that is exactly what you need. The unique interface makes Webflow’s learning curve a little steep and it is definitely not the most beginner-friendly portfolio builder on the market. However, in terms of sophistication, Webflow is definitely one of the most remarkable website builders.
- Unique and sophisticated content management system (CMS) that can handle all of your website needs.
- Sophisticated and innovative, hybrid web design platform that makes technologically advanced features and functions accessible.
- You can add or edit content without changing any of the website’s underlying structure.
- 25+ professionally designed templates
These were our top picks for the best portfolio website builders in 2022! While each of these platforms have their ups and downs, overall they are some of the most comprehensive and accessible tools for portfolio building. It is important to choose the correct tool for your needs when it comes to website building and the correct tool is always the one that most closely matches your budget and requirements. With the correct tools you can create a beautiful portfolio website and start growing your career!
Related article: Check out the best video design awards.