Picture rotation issues since using win8

Home Forums Questions & Answers Picture rotation issues since using win8

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Amanda

I have never had a problem with ribbet in fact I love it!
      I am having trouble with 1 issue now though since I bought a new computer with win 8 in it.
      When I upload a picture to Ribbet if it is a portrait it will revert to landscape on Ribbet. No problem I can just rotate it but when I save it and go to look at it on my computer Windows has it now rotated to landscape as well.
      Again simple fix to just rotate it again but I am just wondering if I am doing something wrong or is this a windows 8 issue.

Thanks for any advice. Never had this problem before landscape pics uploaded as that and Portrait pics uploaded as portraits.

• #1420 Reply
      Ribbet
      Keymaster

Hi Amanda, Thanks for your feedback! The issue with image rotation is a problem that occurs when the image rotation is stored in the EXIF data of the photo (hidden information attached to a photo, usually created by your camera). The photo software in Windows 8 does support EXIF rotation, which means that if you take a photo on your camera in portrait mode, Windows 8 respects this and rotates appropriately. Ribbet currently doesn’t support EXIF rotation, however it does hang onto all EXIF data and so when you re-save, the rotation still exists (even though you can’t see it in Ribbet).

So basically you’re not doing anything wrong, Ribbet at some point will need to take into account EXIF rotation. Until Ribbet is updated with this feature, you can either:

– Simply recognize what’s going on and rotate appropriately (as you are now).
      – Or as a workaround, follow the instructions here (under What does it mean to rotate pictures on import?) to turn off image upload rotation. You can then rotate once in Ribbet (for all new photos imported from your camera after changing this setting) and you shouldn’t need to rotate again.

• #3827 Reply
      Ribbet
      Keymaster

Update on this: EXIF rotation is now correctly accounted for by Ribbet and so this problem should be resolved.

Viewing 2 reply threads
Reply To: Reply #1420 in Picture rotation issues since using win8
Your information:

Cancel